Wednesday, August 22, 2007

cancer dad!

as many of you know, earlier this summer my pop was diagnosed with T-cell lymphoma. since then he's gone through chemo, lost all his hair, is preparing for radiation, and got a wicked case of pneumonia. needless to say, his summer hasn't been all reading on the beach and drinking beers delightful for him. he's in good shape, and looks fantastic bald, but let's face it: he doesn't want to be cancer dad any more than we want him to be.

to that end, my mom and her good friend jen are raising money for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team In Training and want to compete in the Nike Women's Marathon In San Francisco. in order to race, though, they need a certain amount of money in donations. which brings us to the part of the post when i ask you nicely to drop a few bucks in their cup.

anything you donate would be seriously appreciated. it doesn't have to be big money, and you don't even have to leave your name. mom and jen are a little under half-way to their goal, and we've been doing all sorts of fund raisers. tonight we're headed down to the fishmonger in langley to do a brownie fund raiser (you get a delicous brownie in exchange for your donation!), we're having a big yard sale on labor day weekend, and we're all knitting and working on projects for a silent auction. if you would like to help us out and learn more about the Team in Training program, you can visit mom and jen's site here. i promise this won't be something i bug you about constantly, but i thought "i have a blog, i could put a little something up and maybe that would help." in any case, it can't hurt. thanks for reading this far!

(you know i wouldn't ask you if i didn't think it was important, and if it makes you feel any better dad is totally going to kill me for putting up that photo. that is, if he finds out, which i'm hoping he doesn't. personally, i think he rocks the bald look, but he's not so thrilled with it.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy to. I hope your dad feels better (he does look nice), and I hope your mom meets her goal.

Spacebeer said...

I have a system where I almost never donate if I get an anonymous mailer or an icky soliciting phone call, but I always donate if a friend asks me to. Go Team Roy!

amanda said...

dude! thank you both! my whole family thanks you, and i don't mean that in a cheesy way.

well--not entirely cheesy.

Anonymous said...

I hooked up the cash.

We have a family friend (basically uncle to me) that recently got diagnosed, and he just recently got the news that he'll have to have his first chemo treatment, so I'm feeling ya on this. I hope your fam meets (and exceeds!) their goals! Esp. dad. :)