Wednesday, February 11, 2009

road trips are awesome


hamilton high gym, originally uploaded by pinprick.

i haven't been on one in a while, but lately i've had that old familiar urge to go. there's not much better than getting in your car and going somewhere else for a while; even if it's not too far away or for too long. a road trip that ends in camping or staying in a ridiculous, neon-lit hotel is pretty much my favorite thing ever. i'm hoping this summer to take a lot of those; with the boyfriend of course, and some on my own. i'd like to take maggie camping this summer, as well. she's never been out in the woods for any extended period of time before, and i think she'd really enjoy it. plus, what kid doesn't love tent life?

work has been busy lately, meaning i've been doing very little in the way of goofing off. not much knitting, a small amount of knitting, and a whole lot of hand-holding and calming people down. this week no one's wanted to get into the big magnet, which always surprises me. if i could nap in that thing every day while it banged and crashed around me, i would. it's like being in the belly of a very cozy, non-stinky garbage truck. an egg with an attitude, if you will. i think it even looks nice, like a space-age donut, all smooth round curves and bubbles.

in other news, i need a haircut in a bad way. my bangs are all grown out, so you know what that means: i miss them. i want them back. someone recently told me that bangs are fun, but they've "been done." also, my roommate, who is also my hairdresser, refuses to cut them for me. she thinks i look better without them. anyone else want to weigh in on this?

4 comments:

Anne said...

Better without. Think of all the styling they require. And trimming! They're always crooked. or too heavy. or too short.

Anonymous said...

It's totally personal, but I HATE my forehead. Always have. I just must have bangs of some sort, preferably "wispy". I grew up in the '70s when long hair parted down the middle was the required style, and I just couldn't go there. And it wasn't necessarily a wise fashion choice for many young women I knew, based on forehead/nose sizes. Ya know? Anyway, I like the secure feeling of bangs. But again, it's personal.

Anonymous said...

I like bangs. I got some cut today, in fact. And because I had just read this post, I had bangs on the brain and couldn't help but notice that roughly half the stylists at the hair place were wearing them too.

Why do they call them "bangs," anyway? What a weird word.

Anonymous said...

Oh! Here's why:

bang
Function: noun
Etymology: probably short for bangtail short tail
Date: 1878

:a fringe of banged hair —usually used in plural