Monday, May 14, 2007

i love you guys


yellow and rope, originally uploaded by pinprick.

it's weird to have both parents diametrically opposed to this trip. mom is excited for me, happy about the money i'll be making and happy i met a boy i want to spend weeks with on a boat; pop pretty much wants me dead. i very rarely go against either of my parent's wishes, i mean, they are my parents for a reason, but there is no way anyone could talk me out of this. trust me, people have tried. my aunt is a little freaked out, a good friend of the family asked me if i felt safe enough to do this ("there aren't cops on the ocean, you know."), and my sister is loving making crab bait jokes. i know she's joking, but no one else is.

this is why i like my life, i can pick up and take off for a few weeks because i don't have a cat or kid to worry about, or even a job right now. not everyone gets a chance like this and to not take it because that would be the responsible, reasonable thing to do seems like bullshit to me. why have that sort of regret hanging over your head? i would rather regret doing something (i.e. colorado*) than regret NOT doing something. how could i in good conscience pass this trip up? especially when you consider i will be getting paid for this. money! this is a no-brainer for me.

i might have intermittent access to the web while out there; they have a laptop and there are a lot of places it works, but more likely than not i'll be taking photos and drawing small comics and pictures. i'll do a big scan of everything when i get home so you can all see it. i don't leave until wednesday, though, so you'll hear more from me before i go. thanks so much for leaving all the nice comments, it was reassuring and i appreciated all the nice thoughts.

*colorado might have been a mistake, but even as far as regrets go it's a small one. i met a lot of amazing people and did something i never thought i could do, and in that regard it's not a regret at all. coming home means i can go on this new trip, though, and that is also a good thing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's great! I did question the safety a bit... but that is because I'm paranoid. It's going to be such an experience. :) I'm actually very envious!

You only get one chance, and opportunities like this are few and far between!!

Anonymous said...

Can I just say that I am uber effing happy for you? This whole thing sounds like a blast. I bet you'll love it. And if you don't, at least you won't have the regret of never having done it. You go girl!

Anonymous said...

What's that old Mae West quote..."When I have to choose between two evils, I always try to pick the one I haven't tried before."

Congratulations (as always) on your upcoming adventure - can't wait to see/hear all about it!

Anonymous said...

This is so exciting!

Anonymous said...

I'm in Alaska right now, and I was so excited for you when I read about your plan. It is unbelievable up here! I won't have seen enough of it when I head back to Seattle this weekend. Have tons of fun, take tons of photos!

Unknown said...

Coming in a bit late with my comment but this is just too cool! I'm so pleased someone is out there doing the things I'm wishing I was doing, instead of working in a boring but sensible job every day! Looking forward to hearing how it all goes.