Tuesday, September 11, 2007

new library card

getting a new library card is downright thrilling. why? because i am a dork. a very broke dork with a need for new things to read and listen to. i went down to the library i lived in as a kid and it was so much the same. the kids section was in the same spot, the same chairs were in the corners, waiting to be sat in to read in the sun, even a lot of the librarians and aides there i recognized. one of my favorite past librarians was even there. i used to baby-sit her kids, and now they're 20 and 15! i told her i was a month away from 30 and she said, "oh amanda, i didn't need to hear that." picked up a knitting book, a book about a crazy alaskan family who live pretty much in the middle of nowhere and a set of cd's that are all edgar allen poe stories read by vincent price and basil rathbone. it's almost my favorite month of all, october, and therefore close to my favorite holiday, halloween, so i thought the stories would be fun to listen to on my way to and from work.

man, i love the library. love it. tonight i'm going to make a list of the books i want to read (by pulling them off my amazon.com wishlist!) and see if i can get them at my branch. the library in my town is tiny, but we are a big system and one of the other branches are bound to have all sorts of good things for me to read and listen to. i can hardly wait.

5 comments:

Spacebeer said...

I love libraries too! And did you know that September is library card sign-up month? Cuz it is!

Anonymous said...

I've become a library freak. I'm always checking out CDs to load on my Ipod. And, they get tons of new release DVDs that you can watch for free instead of getting ripped off by the Blockbuster man. Library is good stuff! :)

Anne said...

I'm reading Three Cups of Tea... the one about building libraries in Pakistan. I know it's all the rage right now, but it is really good.

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with ya on the library love. It's one place I don't mind my tax money going towards. The music selection in the system is amazing. Just get on the waiting list asap cos the wait on some of the really good indie bands is harsh.

erik98122

wixlet said...

o yes. i love libraries so much that i'm contemplating library grad school. we're teaching CX the wonderful ways of the library, too. it's not too early to get that niece of yours hooked, you know.