Saturday, October 27, 2007

say cheese!

so i got a promotion at work. i know, crazy. it's weird; it's for a job i technically didn't apply for until after the fact, and i was so blase about it i'm surprised i got it. when they brought it up at first i was very, "yes, that sounds awesome, but really? me?" i didn't take them super seriously, and i didn't say anything to anyone because i was waiting for it to be official. the new schedule came out and i'm not on it, i have my own now, so i suppose that's official enough. i am now in charge of specialty cheeses. i am your cheese girl! the new position means i won't have to wear the hideous deli costume anymore; i can say good-bye to the chili pepper vest and ballcap, start wearing skirts and sweaters over my white button down shirt. color me excited. i don't even mean that sarcastically. the outfit i wear to work is useful and appropriate for food handling work, but it bums me out. i look like an unhappy square woman in it, very matronly. also, because i'm not allowed to wear bracelets or have visible tattoos i'm forced to wear band aids over my wrists every day and those areas get fussy from all the adhesive. with the new job i can cover up with a watch and bracelet and call it good. yay! the other nice thing about the job is that it has the same hours every week, and it's never less than 40. i won't get a pay raise until i finish my training and pass my tests, but the extra hours will help immensely. you read that last part right; i'm in some serious training for a while and have to take a series of tests before they'll finish the promotion, but i like cheese enough to be okay with that. how i got this job i don't know, it sounds way too good to be true. my main job will be stocking the cheese area and sampling (standing at a table trying to talk you into tasting this or that), as well as ordering and working with other departments (like wine!). it's a brand-new position and they have pretty high hopes for it, so let's hope i don't fuck it up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think you could ever fuck up being the cheese girl. I wonder what your favorite cheese will end up being.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Amanda, the New Queen Of Cheese!

I love cheese, so that sounds like fun, especially the cheese and wine part. Throw in some nice water biscuits and call it a party!

wixlet said...

If my kid finds out you're in control of cheese, he might make you his best friend. That would mostly mean playing trains with him and plying him with cheese and assorted other samples at his request. So, maybe not the ideal two-way-street of friendship, unless you want to spend your afternoons pretending to be a train or piece of construction equipment (which is actually pretty fun). It's up to you if I tell him or not.

(Also, congratulations! May I request a cheese of the week feature? I love cheese but I'm woefully undereducated about what is what and which flavor of wine goes with which cheese, etc.)