Sunday, May 13, 2012

a mother's day cup of coffee

this morning i got up early, saw my husband off to work, the settled in to play some tetris.  he called a while later, asking me to bring his billfold to work because he'd forgotten it at home.  i told him i was still in my pj's, so i would bring it, but i wasn't going to put a bra on or get out of the car.  he said he thought that was fair.  i brought him his money, then asked him sweetly for a five so i could stop and get a latte on the way home.  he said he didn't think five was enough, he'd give me some more for a tip and for a cup of joe for the girlchild.  he's so thoughtful!  before i left, i asked him to throw away and old coffee cup because if was going to buy two cups of coffee, i needed both cup holders open.  so not only did he give me cash money, he threw away my trash.  what a man.  i giggled and asked him, "aren't you glad you married me?!" he insists he is, even if he does have to buy me coffee and throw away the garbage from my car. 

also, i don't know if i've mentioned this before, but i really love being a stepmom.  the kids are awesome, and i'm glad they let me be such a big part of their lives.  i'm lucky to have such a good, easy-going relationship with my kids, i'm tremendously grateful that they never made it difficult or awful or awkward.  it's true that the secret to our success is that we just all have a lot in common and like each other, but even on those days where we drive each other crazy, there's a lot of love in this house. 

2 comments:

Kate said...

I'm usually very spiky about sentimental mom statements, but you just made me tear up a little, Amanda. Glad you had a happy Mother's Day :)

amanda said...

thanks, kate, it was a very nice day. :-)