Monday, July 14, 2008

reading notes

not having cable tv, and also having a roommate who doesn't make fun of me when i read, means lately i've been doing a lot of that. i was also lucky enough to snag a few early reviewer books from library thing, which i've been plowing through. i admit i haven't read anything too terribly taxing or difficult; both early review books i got are semi-autobiographical memoirs couched as fiction, all about tragic childhoods and overcoming them. thanks to augusten burroughs* for making those popular. i hate to say it, but if you've read one " i was abused as a kid and all i got was this lousy book," then you've read them them all. i really enjoyed the last chabon i read, the yiddish policemen's union, and today i picked up a new library card and another of his books, gentlemen of the road. so far i'm at about chapter three, and am unsure if i like it or not. i probably should have read something else in between the two, as a literary palate cleanser. all i can do now is compare gentlemen to yiddish, which is unfair.

my new library is pretty nice. it's not a huge building, but it's a cozy brick affair, in an old part of town. for the size it has a pretty impressive collection, as well as a reciprocal agreement with another local library; one that is very close to where i work. i'm anxious to try that branch out.

sometimes i worry i'm having a boring summer, but honestly, after the drama that was my affair with the fisherman, i am enjoying the peace and quiet. are you reading anything good? send me a line and let me know what it is. i feel a bit like i'm in a rut, i need to read something new and different.

*what's funny is that out of all his books, i liked running with scissors the least. i've thoroughly enjoyed every other book of his, sometimes reading them all in one sitting, but that first one just didn't quite do it for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah - I'd have to agree that after what you went through with the fisherman, a boring summer is a *good* thing.

I'm reading lots of Banana Yoshimoto right now. Just finished "Asleep" and started "Amrita."

Anonymous said...

I read a lot of mysteries and thrillers for escape, but a couple of great books that weren't in that genre I've read in recent months were "Garden Spells" by Sarah Addison Allen, and "The English American" by Alison Larkin. They were both excellent! Also, anything by Richard Russo is a sure bet. Check out my book reviews on my blog — I try to keep them current.