Thursday, March 27, 2008

odds n' ends

having anne and the boys up this weekend was awesome. i was worried about my tiny, furniture-less apartment, but aside from tiernan observation that it smelled like smoke, i think it actually fit everyone a lot better. there's a lot of usable space in an empty apartment! and yes, it does still smell like the old smoker tenants, although what's sad is that it smells so much better to us that we don't notice. it was fun to show them around my cute little town, and it makes me want to go down to portland soon.

i bought a bicycle today! i have been threatening to do this for years now, and even have a bell for the bike i didn't even own, but today i got back my colorado state income tax return and bought a simple cruiser style $60 bike at the evil empire. as bikes go, it is decidedly unsophisticated; brake with your feet, no gears, and cheap decals instead of fancy paint job. i probably could have bought a bike at the thrift store for less, but i won't lie, i really like the look of a cruiser. i have plans to scrape off the stickers, and need to adjust the seat/handlebars, but i took it for a ride tonight and it was awesome fun. it was also seriously cold, but i drove on down to the pizza parlor to show the fisherman the goods and get a sandwich. (he gets a great discount, so i do too! my whole meal was under $5 and included half a sandwich, a side salad, bag of chips and a soda! whoo!) i suspect i'll be a bit sore tomorrow from the extra exertion, but this is why i bought a bike. exercise and i hate each other, but for some reason tooling around on a bike just seems like fun. the fact that i do indeed get in a small workout is just a bonus. i have a feeling when i go back into the doctor's next week they're going to want to talk to me about my cholesterol, so i can jump start that conversation with, "yeah, i just got a bike."

i have lots more to say, but am beat. i'm headed to the bath and then bed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

what do you mean "break with your feet"? :|

(oh, and hi! my name is ana and i read your blog, though i don't think i ever commented :) )

amanda said...

it just means i brake with my pedals, there aren't any handlebar brakes. old school, like a kid's bike.

hi! thanks for commenting!

Anonymous said...

Even though it makes you feel great and gives you shapely calves, biking is not exercise! Because it's biking first. You know what I mean. I'll see if we can dig up some of our homemade decals to send you, if you want them.

amanda said...

i totally know what you mean! being on the bike is just fun; windy and fast and slightly retarded the way i do it (thanks to my gracefulness). you get to see the neighborhood and smell the air and chase birdies and it never feels like "damn, i need to do this twenty minutes a day."

i would love your decals. they would make me new bike even more awesome!

Anonymous said...

I bought my bike Floyd off craigslist last year, after not riding a bike since a nasty incident about 15 years ago involving my shin and the corner of a car door. I was immediately addicted, although I love to walk I love biking even more because it gets me where I'm going faster and its more fun. The fact that I lost about 15 lbs in about 2 months without even trying didnt hurt either.