Tuesday, November 04, 2008

we're talking about it, dammit

the election! today at work a girl wanted to talk to me about how disappointed she was to see i had an obama sticker on my cheese binder. i shrugged and told her i was sorry, but he's the man for me. she got all flustered and told me that she could never, ever vote for obama because she truly believes he's the anti-christ. she got another shrug from me and i told her that was okay, because i don't believe in god. she gave me that look and said, "i'm sorry to hear that, because he believes in you."

ah, nothing like mixing both politics and religion in one small, condescending, annoying conversation. truth be told, i kind of feel like ratting her out to the union for bringing it up.

i woke up this morning totally thrilled with myself for not having a panic attack yesterday but already feeling anxious because i realized it's the day before the election. all month i've been busy with other shit, but then i realized "oh my god! this is it!" i've spent all day wondering what tomorrow will be like. i want to rush home from work and turn on the radio and stay glued to my computer to watch the results trickle in. i want to buy a six pack of beer and some cheese and crackers and pace around the house calling my pop every five minutes to confer with him. however, i am going on a date so i won't. or maybe i'll con him into turning on his fancy cable tv and letting me watch voraciously.

yeah, that's right. a date. i'm going to bring it up now because i can. because maybe this time i'll do everything the opposite of what i normally do and see how that goes. it's a guy i met on halloween. he's nice and smart and rescued two kittens kicked out of their litter and truth be told, i like that he's a cat guy. even if it was reluctant at first, because i saw him with his four week old kittens and DAMN. little kittens are very cute. he's got a nice big couch, and seemingly few issues. it's going to be a casual date, and while i won't kiss and tell, i promise to give you enough details to keep you interested.

no matter who you want to win, i hope you vote. sure, i'm rooting for my guy, but no matter what i'll be damn glad to see less of george w. on my tv.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I admire your restraint - if someone were to reveal themselves to be both an idiot and a god botherer in one small conversation it would be very difficult for me to not say something snarky like "really? he believes in me? is that what he told you? tell me what he said exactly....did he use my name? do you think he'll invite me to prom?"

This is why my re-integration into the non-bar workforce will be tricky. Will have to remember that political sensitivity isn't just a big ha ha funny.

And I am highly suspicious of men who don't like cats

Anonymous said...

I'm rooting for your guy too, and your date! How exciting!

And I wish I had a union to complain to, but my run-ins are with the frumpy moms at the school bus stop. Especially the way right wing one. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

I have one work-friend with whom I'll discuss politics, and we are both beside ourselves with anxiety this evening (because we want Obama to win).

Yea for your date!