Thursday, January 15, 2009

hola, kiddos

when i started my new job, the boss man said there was an opportunity for me to work with the CT/PET scan team as well. i didn't think much about it, just gave a pleasant sound like, "hmm, interesting" and let it pass. got an email this morning that two times a month i'll get an extra two full days working with that team if i want it, which means i can leave the grocery gig for good. the four days a month i'd work for the CT/PET scan would more than make up for the eight days a month i'd work slinging chicken. it would be an extra 32 hours a month, for one, whereas at the grocery story right now i'm getting about forty. i make almost $2 an hour more, though, so working less would actually pay me more. seems like a no-brainer. a delightful, surprising no-brainer.

it feels like things are going well for me at the hospital. i'm making new friends (yeah, i said that out loud!), relaxing, getting used to the routine, and while i still have stuff to learn i don't feel overwhelmed. it's kind of nice. the normal hours, wearing of ordinary clothes, being treated like i'm not a retard, all these things are growing on me. plus, i get to work on crossword puzzles, watch cool medical stuff being done, and once a nice old lady told me i was a sweetheart and kissed me on the cheek. awesome. ooh, and today the cafeteria was giving out free cookies.

days like today are amazing. my boyfriend made me the sweetest bento lunch, i got a free cookie with my coffee this morning, the boss man came into town and we had a nice chat (which added half an hour onto my day!), and i got to know one of my coworkers better (i only see her once a week, but she's super cool). tomorrow i get to go in early, make more money, see my man and wear something cute. it's been a whole lot of happy lately with just a few spots of annoyance. to be honest, not much gets to me right now because i'm having such a good time. gross, right? my roommate makes fun of me all the time, "true love! BARF!" but whatev. right now things are in a good place, and i'm going to enjoy it while it lasts. dear internets, i'm in love and happy and have an awesome new job. high five!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

High five!

N of 1 said...

As a nervous patient who over the last year has been crammed into every kind of scanner you can imagine in the worst discomfort I can tell you that positive interactions you have with patients no matter how seemingly insignificant can make a difference. Warmth, a soothing tone, a kind word, a joke--it all helps. I know you'll be great!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a major turn-around for you. It's kind of mind-blowing. It just goes to show that when people feel that they are in a sucky place, they really need to give it some time! Things are always changing. I'm so happy that you are so happy! :o)