- paint my bedroom. i bought a really lovely, icy shade of pale blue for the walls but have yet to actually paint them. currently the shade down there is a green like cheap chocolate chip mint ice cream, and while it's not the worst, it's not the best.
- either buy or create a new duvet cover. i'm not too girly, but one of the things i've always loved is matching bed clothes. i like a nicely put together bed, and when i was single, that was easy to achieve because i only bought red or pink stuff for the bed. D has never once complained (or spent much time thinking about) about sheets not matching duvet covers, but i've done my best to get rid of all the pink and move into neutral colors. plus, pink is grand, but i'm also growing up a little and am digging on a soothing palate in the bedroom. long story short: we need a new duvet cover and some sheets.
- paint the living room. the walls turned out to be very barely pink, which we not have noticed had i not used a very cool shade of yellow in the kitchen. i know that the color "warms" a space up, but i hate it. it's such a trivial thing, really, and we're living with it and i'm not going crazy, but i don't like it and want to change it. i also want to paint the trim in here and cover up the wood on the sills and fireplace mantle with a bright white. i want clean, modern backgrounds with which to populate with my crazy colorful stuff.
- rugs! i want some area rugs. to delineate space as well as protect our carpets.
- that downstairs family room is amazing, but needs to be cleaned, organized, and made livable. there's so much to do down there that i'm going to leave it at that.
- i'm also going to ask my husband very nicely to make me some built-in bookshelves. there's some space in the upstairs hallway that's begging to be used!
- outside, i'm looking forward to doing a little gardening. nothing too big or ambitious this year; a nice small bed of veggie will do just fine. i want to get started though, and see how well the soil does here.
Monday, January 02, 2012
technically, NOT resolutions
at the risk of turning this into a house-blog, here is a list of things i would like to do to my home this year!