Thursday, April 17, 2008

i wish i were in l.a. this weekend

did you know they have a grilled cheese invitational?! i ask this rhetorically because, duh, now you do. oh man, i wish i were going this weekend. i have the awesome-est idea for a dessert grilled cheese you have ever heard of (that falls into the honeypot category). how much fun would it be to get all sauced up and make and eat grilled cheese sandwiches? that practically describes my perfect night out after hitting the bar. being here instead of there is lousy! i want some sun and grilled sandwiches!

had a cheese class today. it was a make-up for the one i missed while pop was in the hospital. it was awesome; mainly because there are two ladies in my class that annoy the hell out of me and they weren't there. one of them won't shut her piehole for more than fifteen consecutive seconds, and the other one won't shut the hell up about taleggio. yes, taleggio is good. yes, it's nice and soft. yes, i am a big fan of washed rind cheeses. this lady makes me want to smother her fat face with limburger, though. i have no love for her, and it makes me cringe to listen to her. having just my teacher and one of the other fun cheese mongers there was way more fun. i got to try a new cheese from satrtori, called bellavitano. i liked it enough i brought a little chunk of it home. we ate a bit of swiss as well, and my suspicions about how awesome cave-aged gruyere would be were confirmed. i've been working sort of haphazardly on a cheese blog, figuring out recipes and stuff, mainly for my own edification since there are a million internet sources about cheese. ooh, and i got to taste sbrinz. aw, shit. like i needed another cheese to love. boy howdy is it good. it has this gorgeous, fresh, green smell like young swiss and salty crystals like parmigiano reggiano. for a cheese as old as it is, it really doesn't taste it. the flavors are pronounced and yet subtle at the same time. it's a lot less salty than regular parm, and impossibly silky. if i could, i would totally eat a pound of it right now.

ah, cheese. i do love it. although the last time i went to see my doctor he wanted to talk about my cholesterol. evidently i don't have a tumor causing my buffalo hump, and my cortisol levels are either making me fat or the fat is raising my cortisol levels. chicken and egg! in short, he thinks my numbers are too high, both in cholesterol and weight. he wants me to lose twenty pounds and call him in the morning. as part of this plan, i am eating oatmeal for breakfast and trying to cut down on the cheesey goodness. and by "cut down" i mean less crackers and more veggies. although you can't blame a girl in my situation for loving the cheese sandwiches. this is the sort of home life that sends a chub scout right to comfort foods. it's okay, really. i am indulging in small ways and trying to watch what i eat while riding my bike more, but i'm not going all annie anorexic on you. promise.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well I eat loads of cheese too and my cholesterol's right on the lower limit. What I don't eat is much bread, rice, pasta or sugar, and I think that's what keeps it lower, even if it does sound crazy and against what all the doctors say (truly, what do they know?!). Also I cut out sodas, diet ones are just as bad, and only drink water or tea, or the occasional coffee, with full milk, none of that skimmed rubbish. So I say enjoy your cheeses and cut back the other stuff and see if it makes a difference!