Wednesday, April 30, 2008

3 movies

here is a list of a few movies i love that no one else seems to like, which all happen to star jason schwartzman. i'm not sure how that happened, exactly, but here they are in no particular order.
  • shopgirl. this movie is icy and delicious and yet somehow is sweet at the center. he's a hapless doof in it, a perfect dark, hairy foil to steven martin. i just picked this up at the library today, and now that i have the place to myself i'm watching it. i love mirabelle's apartment in it, and it makes me miss my bobbed hair. once my bangs grow out, i will have that haircut again.
  • i heart huckabees. i feel like a lot of people find this movie pretentious, and i suppose in a way it is, but i loved it anyhow. i remember the first time i rented it i watched it twice before returning it, and bought it a few days later. there are a list of films i can watch over and over again, sometimes paying attention, sometimes as background noise and this is one of them. i like albert markovski, i like his poems and the way isabelle huppert says "al-bear."
  • the darljeeling limited. i have heard a lot of wes anderson fans dislike this film, but i liked it. i feel bad comparing various films directors/writers have done to each other because that seems unfair. yes, it wasn't the royal tenenbaums (which for me is my favorite wes anderson film), but it was also a different movie. it was during darjeeling that i realized that jason schwartzman looks like an ugly version of tom cruise. which is being unfair to jason, he's perfectly foxy on his own, but he's like an exaggerated version of tom. both are short, both have the long, darks bangs, both have prominent noses and eyes that crinkle up when they smile. i'll take jason over tom any day, though.
someone else out there must like at least one of these movies, right? is it you?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok, I didn't *love* Shopgirl... it had some great moments though, and that was the first movie where JS really clicked for me. I loved his character, his love of fonts and his realness.

I have yet to see Darjeeling, but I'm sure I'll at least like it. it's a pretty close tie between Royal T. and Life Aquatic for me... but if I had to choose, I'd pick Royal T :)

PK said...

Darjeeling was awesome! and I think the little man is a hottie! :)

Josh Krauter said...

I haven't seen Shopgirl. I didn't care for Huckabees, but I loved Mark Wahlberg in it, and I sort of admired its ambition. I really like Darjeeling Limited, however, and I'm dismayed at all the hate it's getting. My least favorite Wes Anderson movie is Royal Tenenbaums (which I still liked a lot). It's a tie between Rushmore and Life Aquatic for me for the best one.

Anonymous said...

I've always considered Jason Schwartzman to be quite the hottie, and found Tom Cruise about as appealing as a baboon's backside - that is to say, I think what you meant is Tom Cruise is an ugly version of Schwartzman - who is just all the more attractive for 1. Not being terrifyingly psychotic and 2. Not being Tom Cruise...

Also, haven't yet seen Darjeeling Ltd but will because I love Wes Anderson and Adrien Brody is high on my list of future husbands, I love Tenenbaums and Shopgirl, I Heart Huckabees not so much.

Spacebeer said...

I honestly kind of hated Jason Schwartzman until I saw Darjeeling Limited, and all of a sudden I can totally understand the appeal. I'm still a Life Aquatic gal all the way, though.

amanda said...

i do love life aquatic, but it always makes me cry. the royal tenenbaums is when wes anderson really "clicked" for me, that's why it's my favorite.

Laurel said...

I'm with you on I Heart Huckabees and Darjeeling. I just watched Marie Antoinette again this week... JS is so sweet and funny as Louis XVI.