Monday, February 25, 2008

crescent fresh

i had sort of a funny weekend. mainly because i got a day off during an actual weekend, although i had to go to work late last night to make up for it. it was awesome, though.

saturday night i went home to my folk's, and when i walked in the door my niece actually said, "it's aunt amanda!" of course, she's two and it sounded a bit more like "is ant amana!" but DAMN. i felt like a rock star. she knows my name! mom says she's been working with her to say it, and even though when she wants my attention she still yells "mama," she said my name a lot yesterday. whoo! i am officially on her radar. i mean, i'm pretty sure i was before, but when a kid says your name for the first time, especially when it's kind of hard for them to, it's ridiculously satisfying. she loved her sock puppet, and we played all night with it. the next day we spent most of the day at the park goofing around, and she amazed me with all the new words she's learning. i say it all the time, but she's a genius. pretty soon i'll be able to have a real conversation with her, just like i do with jude and tiernan, and i can hardly wait. i brought my camera with, and i'm sure i brought my extra battery and charger, but i couldn't find them and my main battery died so i have no good pictures of baby. i realize spending time with her is more important that taking pictures of spending time with her, but she's totally photogenic and it's hard to brag about her awesomeness without being able to show you pretty pictures.

dad's birthday went well, too. i didn't have a present for him, because i suck and am poor, but i brought home the veal shanks we used to make oso bucco. dinner was great, i got to see my aunt and uncle and the photos they brought of my cousin's new house in NY. those made me a wee jealous, but in a good way. we watched the oscars, and maybe it's because i actually saw some of the movies nominated, or the fact that i haven't wacthed in five years, but that was a lot more enjoyable than expected. javier bardem was amazing, and who would have thought a psychopath could clean up so well? and viggo mortenson, with that beard even, was still hot. how'd he do that? helen mirren was also exceptionally hot, and tilda swinton made me laugh out loud. we ate ice cream cake and looked at all the pretty outfits and then i headed off to work to do inventory.

inventory itself was easy, and i love working at the grocery store late at night. there are very few customers, you can get a lot done, and i busted out a ton of work in a short amount of time. i kind of wish that was always my schedule; it's my favorite time to do my grocery shopping, so it seems reasonable that it's also my favorite time to work. bonus: i didn't have to wear my uniform or hat, so i was actually comfortable the whole time i worked. i should apply for a night stocking job. the night hours suit me. it was hard to come home and go to bed, i kind of wanted to stay up all night or go out to the refinery and take pictures, but i knew i had a lot to do today and my camera battery was dead anyhow.

today i do all my little errands and since it's bright out (albeit a bit chilly with the wind) i'm going to walk around town. hopefully i can find my battery camera before i go! i bought some sifl and olly on ebay this morning too, and even though i know they're just burned dvds and probably all copyright infringed and shit, they don't actually make a real sifl and olly set. i'm just happy i won't have to watch youtube videos and can enjoy some sock puppetry in my own home. the fisherman will be thrilled, and i'm being totally sarcastic there because really, he doesn't love the sock puppets the way i do. oh well!

No comments: