Tuesday, May 30, 2006

i don't have enough hobbies

that's totally obvious, right? today i decided i absolutely had to buy the supplies to make amigurumi. amigurumi are insanely adorable japanese crocheted dolls. needles + yarn + crazy-cuteness = oh my god i have to try that. i taught myself to crochet before i learned how to knit, many years ago. the nice thing about crochet was that it was very straightforward, and i could teach myself from a book. once i figured out knitting, i gave up crocheting, and didn't even have any needles to work with today. i went by the library before going to the craft store to look for a crochet book, but didn't have anything good so i'm relying on the internets to help me out. so far i'm just practicing the basic stitches, and trying to remember how to increase and decrease. internets, you have a lot of knitting information out there, but i have to say, your crocheting tutorials sort of suck ass. there's a good chance i'm going to have to request a crochet book from a nearby library. the good news is, even though it's been a few years since i did any crochet i'm picking it back up fairly easily. plus, amigurumi only use a few stitches, so i don't need to be super great at it.

i have something very amigurumi-like that my aunt maize made me when i was little (i'd show you a photo, but mom's got the doll, not me!), and it was my favorite toy as a kid. to save it some wear and tear mom put it up, and every year we put it on the christmas tree as a funny little decoration. it's a weird, long, black bear. with googly eyes. i can't wait to make my own funny looking animals. hopefully the kids i know will like them too. (i mean, if they get them. sometimes i buy stuff or make stuff for them, but then it's so cute it never leaves my room. i'm secretly a jerky aunt!)

:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Keep them all for yourself!! Or better yet - use them to make the kids cry!!