Monday, June 19, 2006

myspace, yourspace, ourspace!

dude. i think we've discussed this before, but i have a myspace page. it's great for keeping in touch with friends who are out of state, but because i have a blog, i don't actually do a lot there. in fact, sometimes i go weeks without checking in. this last week, though, the myspace friend requests have gone through the fucking roof. what the hell? suddenly people i don't know want to be my friend, and this weirds me out. it's bad enough getting band-spam (which is what i call the messages that you get from someone asking you to "check out" their myspace page, almost inevitably bringing you to some bluegrass page. what is it with bluegrass and hippies? i think bluegrass is the new jam band.), but what's with people wanting to add people they don't even know in real life to their friend page? i don't have that many friends in the real world, and i have a feeling having imaginary internet friends isn't going to boost my self-esteem any. and why am i so popular all of a sudden? this makes me suspicious. woody allen said it best in annie hall when he said
The... the other important joke, for me, is one that's usually attributed to Groucho Marx; but, I think it appears originally in Freud's "Wit and Its Relation to the Unconscious," and it goes like this - I'm paraphrasing - um, "I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member."
you want to be my internet friend? having only seen a crappy photo of me and seen some pap i wrote in the "about me" section of myspace? i doubt it.

::

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently set my Myspace account to only accept friend requests if the person knows my email address or last name. I also set it to not accept friend requests from bands.

amanda said...

i didn't even know you could do that! i'm going to go update my page right now.

dm said...

what about your friends' bands, huh? way to leave us out in the cold.

Anonymous said...

Since you mentioned bluegrass....have you seen David Lee Roth pushing his new album??? Ghastly!