Monday, August 14, 2006

bye bye, paycheck

i spent $80 tonight on yarn. seriously. why? because i'm absolutely dying to make this sweater, and a thorough internet search found very few sources of the yarn indicated in the pattern. normally this does not bother me since i very rarely actually follow patterns all the way through. i don't remember the last time i actually used the yarn they tell you to in the pattern. however, this yarn i know for a fact to be ridiculously soft and delicious, and please! it's stripey. i was doomed from the start. i also love the boatneck, and while i wanted to do the stripes in red which i found impossible to find, i did secure some nice grey for the stripes. the end result will probably be a bit less mod and a little more goth. i've started one sweater in my entire knitting career, and did not finish it. i think i was too green when i started it, and now i have no desire for a brown cardigan. (the yarn will likely be recycled into another project, hopefully one i will finish.) this will be different i think because i'm getting faster with my knitting, i'm infinitely more patient, and i'm actually better at what i do and feel more comfortable doing it. buying $80 worth of yarn might be a gamble, but i truly love this sweater and want it to be my own.

also, i'm watching no reservations on tv right now and thinking maybe anthony bourdain might need to be on my list. he's smart, he's funny, he's a great writer, has that great thick hair, and knows the value of a well-made cocktail. plus, he just ate sheep stomach like it was no big deal. he could be my boyfriend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tony is so sickningly thin and he has a horrible, constant smokers cough. He's very appealing on TV, but I don't think I'd want to get to close. I was suprised that Vincent D wasn't on your list.

Anonymous said...

the new show is pretty awesome. i liked his dog-fscking joke when he donned furs to hunt seal with the canadian (inuit? aleutians?) yup.
-chew

Anonymous said...

I love No Reservations. Anthony is so... interesting. I love how he can be so scathingly sarcastic one second - yet the next be so grateful and touched by the hospitality shown to him. *sigh*

And definitely! Make that sweater. That is awesome. I'm a sweateraphobe.