Thursday, August 03, 2006

urine trouble!

guess who had to pee in another cup today? that's right, ME! my boss tells me the other day i have to fill out another online application at work, and that i have to take another urine test. i tell him i might need to take to a couple of days to flush all the pcp out of my system. then i ask him where and when and so today, on my day off no less, i got to pee in yet another cup. i've almost peed in as many cups as months i've lived here. whoo! he assures me that this is the last test i'll have to take before they "hire" me, and i told him i'll believe it when i see it.

we also have a work meeting tonight at some irish-pub-meets-red-robin, which is annoying (again, it's my day off) but i'll be getting paid to eat a free meal so whatever. i did tell the boss that if he does this again, schedule a work meeting for my day off, i'll be quitting. it's retarded.

other than that, i napped, made my first children's mitten (photos to come soon), made a salami sandwich and watched word wars. not a bad day off, in all. i'm looking for a good sci-fi book to read right now too, if you have any suggestions leave them in the comments!

here is a photo of the first small red mitten all done. it needs to be blocked and washed still, that will make it less lumpy around the edges. it's so little! and worked up so quick!

p.s. so far in the poll, 'stache is winning, with cartoon me and photo me running a close second. i'll let you know the final results on monday. or tuesday.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you read "Ender's Game"? It's awesome!

wixlet said...

I used to sell drinks that would (supposedly) help people pass drug tests. Of course, that was absolutely not what we said we were selling them for (they were health drinks!), and if someone said "Hey, I need to pass a piss test!", we'd have to show them the door.

On the subject of science fiction, I recommend that you go back to the classics. Get a book of 50s or 60s vintage short stories, either by one author or a compilation. You can probably find something like that at a used bookstore or at the library. I am cooking up a post on how in love I am with the Houston Public Library (seriously, one of us goes at least every 3rd day, sometimes more often), so I'm recommending the library to everyone these days.

I have a love-hate relationship with Ray Bradbury, but I think I've finally come around and have him in the 'love' category once and for all.

I'm listening to an audio CD set right now called "Wonderful Town", all stories from the New Yorker that are set in New York. I'm brewing a post about that, too. Guess I'd better stop commenting and get to writing, huh?

Anonymous said...

If you want a FUN sci-fi book...read The Rolling Stones by Robert E. Heinlein. It's a quick-read, and a favorite in our household. We have an extra copy, if you'd like it I can stick it in an envelope and send it to you. Lemme know!

Anonymous said...

i concur with ender's game. however, i am much more a fan of ender's shadow (which works a lot better with all the ender books as context). hard to get but worth it, even with the reprint a few years back, is e.e. 'doc' smith's lensman series. seminal and heinlein gives a nod in the number of the beast as well. actually, if you (re-?)read that, it'll take you back to your hip-hop... um, sci-fi roots. i think you'd really enjoy all of terry pratchett, but they're extremely hard to find used. and probably get stolen more often than that abbie hoffmann thing. stuff i like (and dave has suggestions too, i'm sure):
alfred bester
vernor vinge (the singularity!)
frank herbert's non-dune stuff

i don't like bruce sterling's stories.

love, chew

Anonymous said...

Seeing everyone is leaving sci-fi recommendations I would like to recommend The Hub short stories by James H. Schmitz. To think he wrote this stuff long before the internet....

BTW, it's seems you feel better and I glad to see that...

Anonymous said...

"Nine Princes in Amber" by Roger Zelazny. I have to reread that whole series every two years or so.

Oh wait, that's fantasy, not sci-fi. Damn. Um, The Forever War by Joe Haldeman was pretty good. And SHORT, which was nice. "Red Mars" by Kim Stanley Robinson is supposed to be brilliant, but I'm having a hard time getting into it.

Also, I second the Bradbury recommendation.

wixlet said...

marnie, i LOVE the amber series (and that was my rec until i thought no, that's not really sci-fi). though i think i stopped around book 9? not entirely sure. both 'amber' and 'dune' got a little wacky for me as time went on.

and now that i've outed myself as a sci-fi-fantasy-comicbook-dorkette for the nth time, i shall crawl back into my hole. zzrrrrbt!

Spacebeer said...

You can't go wrong with Philip K. Dick. Also, I indiscriminately read old pulpy science fiction books with covers that I like, and about 45% of the time, they end up actually being very good. Compilations are also a wise move.

Hey, how tiny is your tiny mitten? Could you take a picture of it on your thumb or something? I need some scale to appreciate its cuteness. I am very demanding.

Anonymous said...

i don't know about sci-fi but oral pathology for the dental hygienist was simply fasinating.....gawd i can't wait to be done with school and back to fun books.