Tuesday, August 15, 2006

done!

well, the knitting part of this blanket is all done. it does still need to be washed and blocked, but i'm happy it's finished. it wasn't the hardest project i've ever undertaken as far as the knitting went (it was a pretty basic pattern) but it did require a lot of paying attention and making sure i took notes as i went along. i am not the kind of knitter who can remember which row she left off on, or memorize patterns easily. that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it did mean i had to get used to carrying around a pencil with my knitting. the end result was totally worth it though; it's a lovely little blankie that is crazy soft and snuggly. plus, it was the first time i tried something like this and realized that with some preparation i could do it. this definitely bolstered my knitting self-esteem.

because i feel sort of guilty about spending big money on yarn, i put up some from my stash on ebay. that's originally how i got started on ebay; buying yarn. it's a great resource for buying and selling yarn, because we all buy yarns that we don't use or are looking for a bargain. sometimes just clearing out your stash is a good feeling too. some yarns hang out forever, constant reminders of a project you never finished, some are leftovers from a project you did finish, and some is just stuff you buy thinking "oh this is pretty i'll find something to do with it" and then never do. i have three yarn baskets, and they are pretty close to full. when they get that way, i get rid of some. it's just that time of year! plus, maybe selling some will defray the cost of my very expensive sweater (which probably isn't that expensive when you think about it, it's just more than i've ever spent on a project). i'm nervous about making that sweater because i have yet to finish a project that big, but i'm sort of sick of smaller projects, and have done really well this past year starting and finishing all my projects. i think i'm ready. wish me luck.

also, if you don't knit or don't care about knitting, this post was kind of crappy, huh? oops.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nah, it was okay!

Anonymous said...

Actually, I learned to knit this past year, although I haven't taken it and run with it. I haven't progressed beyond a "fun fur" scarf. I enjoy doing it, it's just that I have other things I'd rather do, like read, surf/blog, and play my new computer game. I love your blanky -- it's beautiful, and what a nice pattern. I once made a gazillion crotchet afghans some years ago and burned myself out! When I still see the ones I'd given to family members as gifts all those years ago, I can't believe I actually made them!