Monday, January 01, 2007

very superstitious

i was raised haphazardly catholic; meaning i love statues and holy cards and glow-in-the-dark rosaries, know a little about some of the saints, have a general understanding of how the papacy works, but beyond that i'd say i'm less religious and more superstitious. and boy am i ever superstitious. for the most part i'd say i'm reasonable and we all know i'm a big fan of science, but at the same time i'm always seeing signs and portents everywhere. a good parking spot at the grocery store means happy shopping and good sales. my favorite song on the radio when i wake up means i'm going to have a good day. i don't step on cracks, i'm constantly throwing salt over my shoulder, i don't fly before making the sign of the cross and asking god not to let the plan crash and burn, and when the clock is all the same number (1:11, 3:33, etc) i make a wish. science is great, but i can't pass up on wishes.

that said, the first day of the new year hold a lot of superstitious potential. everything that happens today could mean good things or bad things for the new year. work was pretty good, i actually sold a lot of stuff, so i'm going to take that to mean this year my work/money situation will sort itself out. while today is an important day to look for signs, it's not the be all, end all. i mean, pretty much this whole week might foretell what the year has in store for me. which makes the following little story about my day troubling to me.

i got asked out at work. for the first time in my whole year in colorado, i was asked out on a date. i could take that to mean that this year might be a good year for me to get lucky. maybe i will meet a nice guy and eat some dinners, watch some movies, do a little making out. then again, the guy who asked me out was old enough to be my father, has a bum leg, and did i mention he's old enough to be my dad?! maybe this means i'm doomed to be pursued by men who are seriously not my type this year. i want to be optimistic, but let's face it: most superstition is doom and gloom and it's hard for me to not go there. plus, i'm a little bothered by the fact that this guy thinks it's totally okay to ask me out. he either thinks i'm desperate enough to date an old guy who has no real job, or thinks i'm older than i am which kind of makes me want to die. aargh! stupid, stupid superstition. i need a handbook for this shit sometimes.

i'm going to leave it up to you to decide which it is: i'm either doomed this year when it comes to boys, or i'm just starting to get my foxy on and he accidentally picked up on my signal. you make up my mind for me, okay? after all, superstition is not an exact science. (ha! that was just about the nerdiest sentence of the year!)

p.s. not getting mail tomorrow in honor of a president i think did a seriously lousy job of president-ing is very annoying to me. i hate having my mail interrupted to start with, but for ford? i won't bitch when it's carter, but for this i will!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in exactly the same situation - kinda sorta raised Catholic, most definitely very superstitious even though I don't mean to be and love listening to Science Friday on MPR. Sigh.

Anyhow...I'd say the old dude accidentally picked up on your signal. For sure. I started to get my foxy on in the Fall, when I became single again, and I have been hit on by all manner of men. Including ones ten years YOUNGER than myself. For weird.

Anne said...

Dude, "Former President Ford: DEAD" interrupted House and now it's interrupting the mail? Does all of the gov't get a day off? Maybe I should have one, too?

PS. My vote is for over-the-top-foxiness. Maybe you should turn it down a notch, you minx, you!