Wednesday, January 24, 2007

you should rue the day i discovered how to send posts from my cellphone

mainly because that means i can blog all day at work, but the posts will be tiny, boring, pointless, and often poorly punctuated.

i found my favorite show ever on tv tonight, blue planet, the deep edition. ever since i was a kid and saw giant sea turtles i've been kind of obsessed about the parts of the ocean we don't normally get to see. if anything spurred my love of cephalopods, it was this film. one look at the dumbo octopus and i was hooked. seeing it made me shiver with the creeps while wanting to hug it at the same time. i even took up oil painting again so i could have one in my room all the time. i painted the very one in the movie, and seeing it again tonight made me remember that first time. i have to buy that movie so i can watch it all the time. (although when i do see it i wonder who did the sound effects for it; i know that a lot of the "sounds" in the film were generated afterward and sometimes i watch it on mute because of that.) i forgot how much i love the anglers; they look like fat, disembodied heads wiggling through the water. ungainly and funny, while seriously freaky with their huge teeth and jaws. deep sea animals bring out the best and worst in me; i'm amazed by their lives, their resourcefulness, the way they live in a part of the world that seem like the least hospitable place on earth, and at the same time they freak me out, make my skin crawl and give me nightmares. it's remarkable how they can be so beautiful and hideous at the same time.

seven days left to finish packing. yesterday was a total bust, and i have a feeling today will be too. work has been long and draining; i've spent many hours on the phone trying to resolve customer issues, been yelled at more than i like, and the talking! my god, i come home some nights resolving to become mute. all that incessant small talk kills me. that combined with a very special time of the month that most of the women in the world have to deal with makes me very, very sleepy. i feel like tomorrow i'll get my groove back on, and then start with the real work of relocating my things. tonight, it's more of the simpsons and one more beer before bed. if you have any helpful tips or hints for how i can get more done, please feel free to leave them. of course if it's nothing but "put shit in boxes" advice, be warned i will come and burn down your house! i know how it's supposed to work, just not why i should have to do it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a theory that packing and moving takes exactly as much time as you have. If you absolutely had to be out of there tomorrow, you could do it. Plus it's pretty fun to sort through your stuff, leisurely taking stock and discarding and organizing and taking too many beer breaks, right? I guess that's not really advice on how to get more done, is it? Crap.

Unknown said...

If you need some time away from packing you could always try this quiz http://www.stationerymovies.com/
You won't get much more packing done though. I'm no help either.

Anonymous said...

I don't usually comment on blogs, but this one drew me out of my shell. I too, love the Blue Planet series, and "The Deep" is definitely the creepiest of the bunch. Love your blog, btw. You always make my day!