Saturday, July 15, 2006

the guilt is going to kill me (or not)

on thursday my boss told everyone we were having a store meeting this sunday. i asked for this sunday off last month. i'm going to see a show, and i knew there was some arts and crafts thing going on in town that my roommate wanted to go to as well. i didn't say anything at the time because i didn't know exactly what was going on, and didn't want to jump the gun. today when i told him that i had asked for sunday off weeks ago, and now knew my roommate's plan and really wanted to go do that, he sort of guilt tripped me. "well, if that's what you have to do..."

at the same time i'm feeling guilty, i'm thinking about how every single fucking store meeting they've called in the last month has been scheduled on my day off. i think that's sort of unfair, and not only that, i think telling everyone they have to attend a meeting and giving them two days notice is bullshit.

skipping the meeting might not help my chances with the new job thing, but i kind of don't care. i have a life, albeit a small one, and my days off are mine. i don't get many of them, and when i need a day, i ask way in advance for it so i think it's reasonable that they respect that.

at this point the worst thing that can happen is that i get fired. honestly, though, would that really be so bad? would i lose my health insurance? um, no, because i don't have that. would i lose my sick time/vacation time? oh wait, i don't have that either. would i lose my cushy schedule? oh no, i don't actually have that either. finding a new job that would last a few months would be sucky, to be sure, but keeping this job for the next few months is also going to be sucky, so whatever. i vascillate between wanting to rage against the machine and taking a nap. it seems pointless to be upset about this because i know it's a temporary situation but the principle of the matter annoys me.

8 comments:

dm said...

fuck 'em.

Anonymous said...

You asked for the day off well in advance. If they had the meeting planned they should have denied your request when you made it. Obviously, you made your plans before they did... go and enjoy yourself and forget all about work.

Anonymous said...

Well, your boss probably went to a lot of trouble to make this store meeting as vital and informative as possible, and I'm sure attending it would be the very best use of everyone's Sunday, but...sigh...if you feel that honoring your commitments and standing up for yourself with a totally justified and reasonable request is what you absolutely have to do....

So magnanimous! Please don't feel guilty about this crock of shit.

Anne said...

I agree with DM, "Fuck 'em!" I feel the same way you do: don't bother me or tell me what I need to do on my day off! It's not really a day off if they tell you what to do! You may as well be wearing a poly-polo...

Anonymous said...

Definitely take your day off and forget about the guilt trip! His meeting is most likely a waste of time anyway.
Tabitha99,
now working my 8th day in a row and wondering if my day off tomorrow will ever get here.

Anonymous said...

Guilt? For a crappy job? NO WAY. When they start giving you crap about it, don the teflon mentality and let it slide off. I concur...fuck 'em.

wixlet said...

i hope you had the raddest, most awesomest sunday evar! with 100% no guilt!

Josh Krauter said...

Fuck all meetings everywhere. I am of the opinion that every meeting ever held everywhere has been unnecessary. Fuck them, fuck it, and fuck that. Guilt? No. Days off? Yes.