Tuesday, June 03, 2008

gack

the doctor confirmed what i'd been thinking; i do indeed have bronchitis. that hacking isn't your run of the mill cough! the nurse said i sounded "croup-y" which totally cracked me up. i don't know why, but i really like the sound of that. i'm croup-y! like a fussy baby! he prescribed a five day regiment of antibiotics, with today being double-dose day. normally antibiotics make me sicker than a dog, which is why i'm reluctant to take them, and today is no exception. hello, angry tummy. if they're going to make me sick, though, i'm glad it's only for five days. talked to my mom and evidently everyone is super sick; maggie, who gave me this isn't any better either, pop went to the emergency room today because he's coughing up blood and convinced this is the end, and my sister caught whatever plague we're carrying around. days like today i feel bad for my mom, who gets to listen to us all whine and demand her attention. she should have never been so nurturing to us as kids, now she's stuck with us for life.

before the meds kicked in, i ran some errands. paid part of the electric bill, got some quarters for laundry, and went to the library. and here is where i act like a pouty baby: i wanted to donate my second season of six feet under, and their reaction was pretty unimpressive. it's not like i wanted a standing ovation, but something more than, "thanks, next!" would have been nice. they were actually sort of rude about it, and all i wanted was to make sure that the dvds became part of the collection, not given to the friends of the library to sell. i tried to explain that, and the librarian totally blew me off. no one took my name or number, so in case the library wasn't going to keep them they could give me a call, nothing. it was weirdly anticlimactic. what redeemed my visit, though, was finding a copy of young frankenstein to watch. that gene wilder is awesome funny.

okay, i have to go lay on the couch and clutch my tummy and make moaning noises. maybe i'll make some coffee too. i can't tell if that's going to make me sicker or not, but i'm going to give it a try.

4 comments:

Spacebeer said...

That sucks that the library was so nonchalant about your donation! I always send a nice thank you letter whenever anybody donates something to my archives. Let me just extend a big official library thank you to you on the behalf of your local library.

Anonymous said...

bronchitis sucks. I suffered from a sort of chronic bronchitis for many years - I'd be sick 6 months at a time :( Dr's don't usually prescribe antibiotics for it, but hopefully it will jumpstart your system and get you on the way to recovery!!

days off when you can't do anything but cough and blow your nose suck, but you really need to rest as much as possible. sleep is the best cure, trust me!

I freaking love Young Frankenstein. I actually have it on VHS and watch it when I go to bed sometimes. :)

amanda said...

that was the weird thing about the doctor's prescription; he called it bronchitis but i thought you didn't take antibiotics for it either. i wonder if he just didn't want to freak me out with a "respiratory infection" diagnosis.

i found out today that everyone in my family is on the same antibiotic; me, my sister, baby and pop. mom is the only one of us who isn't coughing up a lung!

Anonymous said...

There's viral bronchitis (the 6 months at a time kind) and there's bacterial, which is when you get the antibiotics. Lucky me, I've been an easy target for both for most of my life.

I feel your pain with the antibiotics - my doc put me on the 5-day stuff yesterday for strep. It works, but oh my stomach! Coffee or not, doesn't seem to matter.

Hope you're feeling better soon.