Friday, June 20, 2008

ugh

i had to work a 12 hour shift, which was, of course, LONG. we got another new girl who is a flake, and as usual i'm pretty much the only person who will stay late. the overtime is awesome, i love that part of my job, but i am super tired now. i'm having a beer and am headed to bed. good times!

i accidentally stumbled upon fur the other night while at my folks house; i don't much care for nicole kidman (i don't hate her, i just don't go out of my way to see her films) but i have to say, i liked it. i didn't know anything about it, and while i like diane arbus well enough, i'm not so obsessed with her that it upset me to see a fictional movie about her. i expected very little from it, i guess, and was pleasantly surprised. i had no idea robert downey jr. was in it, and at the end when i realized it was him i felt very, "really?!" i don't know, maybe it's because i love circus freaks, but i enjoyed the movie more than it seems a lot of other people did. i would watch it again. is that weird? did you see it? i don't actually know anyone else who's seen it. thoughts?

okay, i'm off to bed. i've been reading the yiddish policeman's union the past few days. lunch time and bed time (and spare hours on the couch) are now my favorite times of day; this book is impossibly well written. normally i'm a super fast reader, i just tear through books, but this one i find myself reading sentences slowly and repeatedly, everything is so well-crafted. i love michael chabon, have for a long time, but this book totally pushes him into my top five favorite author list. yiddish noir: not a phrase i ever thought i would use, or relish so much. it's a gorgeous book, i can't believe it took me this long to read. i am really glad i bought it instead of borrowing it from the library.

2 comments:

lady3jane said...

I saw Fur. I loved it!

Anonymous said...

I liked fur a lot too. it was a beautifully shot film! i don't like nicole kidman much either but she was somehow perfect for the part... like delicate and creepy.