Monday, September 11, 2006

i hope this isn't too horribly narcissistic

this is the photo:

and this is the bio:

When I was about 7 years old my mom taught me how to embroider. An extremely gifted embroiderer, she taught me everything I know about the craft and art of embroidery. As I got older and my ideas about what it means to be a woman and feminism got more specific, so did my embroidery. I feel that embroidery is often relegated unfairly to the world of crafts and not taken seriously as an art form. For me, embroidery is more than just making something prettier; it can be a fully functional piece of art that reflects more accurately the role of women today. I strive to make all of my work surprising, interesting, practical, and above all to challenge the way people think about the traditional arts. For a more detailed look at my work, please visit [website goes here.]

my sister wrote it, don't get too excited. she's way smarter than i am, and after spending all day trying not to sound like a total dork i finally sent her an email that said, "write my bio, i'll give you $5, cash money." good thing she will work for cheap. doesn't that make me sound all smart without also sounding like a pretentious ass? i mean, i hate to admit that i take my work that seriously, for fear of coming off like one of those art school students who spends too much time composing answers to interviews they think they'll have someday, but i do what i do for a reason. sometimes it's just that it cracks me up, but a lot of the time i am actually striving to make things that make people stop and think for a second. i don't need them to re-evaluate how they think about women and so-called women's work, but if they stop for a sec and go, "huh, i wouldn't have thought of that," then i'm happy.

but right now i'm tired and i think futurama is on. why am i here when i could be in bed in my still-warm-from-the-dryer pjs? jeez.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is pretty much impossible to justify your craft in words without feeling like you sound pretentious. If it were so simple to convey in plain language, you probably wouldn't have bothered to use another medium, right? I don't know. In any case, I think opting to have someone else write it was a good way to get around that problem, even though what you would have written probably would have come off much better than you think.

Also, congratulations on making it into the book!

wixlet said...

It's a glorious bio and super-cute picture.

I agree with Mr DNA, it's tough to effectively use language to express a body of work that takes on so many things at one time without wanting to roll your eyes, but your sister did it here!

Anne said...

T has given his approval of the picture, so I think you're good to go!

Anonymous said...

It's perfect.

Anonymous said...

Love it!!!! Congrats!