Monday, October 02, 2006

creeptastic!

not the cookies! here is photographic evidence of the first batch of skull cookies i made. frosted they would be cuter, but i was feeling lazy and frustrated with the dough so they didn't make it that far. today i brought them to work (after having a few with my morning coffee) because even though they turned out okay, they weren't great and i found that disappointing. sometimes cooking is all about figuring out what works and what doesn't, and i know if all else fails i work with a bunch of boys who will eat anything i cook. hello, culinary guinnea pigs.

on to the knitting part of this post, all the pieces of the sweater are DONE. three quarters of it are blocked, one sleeve still needs the ends weaved in and to be blocked, and the shoulders and neck are done. i did my first three-needle bind off and it was spectacular. i loved the effect, and while it took a second for me to wrap my brain around it, a short watch of a knitting help movie hepled reassure me i was on the right path. soon i will have a new sweater to wear that i made all by myself and i feel totally proud of myself. after this project, though, it's back to working on the christmas knitting.

and for the creeptastic part of this post, i spent all afternoon watching old re-runs of tales from the darkside. it's like the twilight zone or tales from the crypt, only cheesier and darker. i found the show on accident on the sci-fi network, and realized later the my pop had found the same thing and we were both watching them. the ghost-y ones are the ones that make my skin crawl, and there were plenty of those. when i was done with tales from the darkside, i flipped on the x-files, only to have it be the episode with the men skinned alive. the sight of them all glisteny, red and without skin also creeps me out. which is evidently a reasonable way for me to spend my time before going to bed; freaking myself out like the twelve-year old i am. i used to lie in bed at night reading horror stores and stephen king as a kid, getting myself so spun up i would go sleep in the living room with the dog, because she was a bulldog and a loud snorer and i found that sound soothing. i'm going to wish i had a bulldog later tonight.

5 comments:

dm said...

when I was a kid, tales from the darkside came on late on sunday nights. I loved watching them and I totally remember the intro where the screen goes all black and white and negative. creepy!

Anonymous said...

Cool cookies! Did u just cut the skull shape yourself? Or is there such a thing as a skull shaped cookie cutter?
Tabitha99

Spacebeer said...

We just rented a volume of Tales from the Darkside this weekend! They were all awesome. I just love that show...

Anne said...

please, can I have one? T asks

Josh Krauter said...

Like kristykay said earlier, we did indeed rent some episodes last weekend. I watched that show religiously as a kid. Every Saturday night. I loved it. Did you ever see Monsters? The same guys that did Tales from the Darkside did those. Similar concept, except each story had a monster in it. For a too brief couple of years, they showed Monsters and Tales from the Darkside back to back on Friday nights. Those were simpler times.