Monday, February 05, 2007

let's talk about something new for a change

don't expect any fun food posts from me in the near future, because i've noticed lately everything i cook involves brown rice, beans, and a variety of veggies thrown in a pot and stewed with lots of curry and red pepper flakes. lately i am regular, and spicy. it's not that i am so in love with brown rice or anything, but this is a meal i can make while totally absentminded, and the leftovers rule. somehow it gets better after a few days, and it takes all the thinking out of meal planning, something i'm all for right now since there is a huge chunk of my brain taken up with that damn elephant in the corner. to be perfectly frank, i am a huge fan of eating the same thing all the time, and have been ever since i was a kid. from kindergarten to the fourth grade i ate the same thing every day; bologna on white with cheese and mayo, carrot sticks, an apple and milk. very rare occasions would find me with gherkins and peanut butter and jelly, and rarer yet were the days when i got underwood chicken salad (something i still crave from time to time). i've heard it said that there are more than one or two geniuses out there who do the same thing, eat the same lunch everyday, wear the same clothes, whatever. routine is kind of nice, and frees up your brain for other things. there was the year i ate exactly 7 chicken potstickers with steamed broccoli every night for dinner. the year i ate a sesame bagel with hummus every morning, and a peanut butter and tahini sandwich every lunch (that was the year of the chickpea, duh). frozen bean and cheese burrito year, spaghetti and marinara months, turkey sandwich weeks, and the brief diet shake phase (turns out i like chewing). you would think that someone who loves food the way i do, who loves reading about it, watching shows about it, making up recipes and feeding my people and trying new things, this would be totally abhorrent to me. the thing is, when i have the time and space both in my life and brain, i use it. when i don't, i pare it down. if i were to try to make anything even remotely exotic or new, i would ruin it. i know my limits, and right now it's brown rice and mish-mash curries for me. be grateful i don't feed you!

also, i am going to learn how to drive a stick tomorrow so if you have any mojo you want to share, you know how to do it. you could also cross your fingers for me, do a little dance, or send nice thoughts my way. damn, i know i've already gotten a lot from you, but just a tiny bit more and i promise i'll shut my piehole and get on with things. while i'm totally nervous about driving a stick, i like to think it's going to open up a whole new world of possibility for me and i'll never again have to say, "no, i can't drive that." cars, watch out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, it does take some time to learn. Not quite as bad as learning to play the piano or saxophone or to knit, but kind of like that. You have to teach that ol' subconscious so you don't have to "think" while you're doing it. It does come, eventually. My son didn't believe that at first, but now he'd never admit to that!

I just hope you're not going to have to LEARN on ice! God!

Spacebeer said...

Try not to get too frustrated. I learned how to drive on a stick, and it involved several episodes of crying in the car and upsetting my poor dad. Once you learn, you don't even have to think about it, and its fun to be in control of the cars revving noises. And no joke: driving on the ice and snow is way easier in a stick because you can start it in second and get a better grip.

Anonymous said...

I learned to drive a stick (1955 Chevy, three-on-the-tree!) in an afternoon - not *well*, mind you, but enough so that I wasn't a danger to anybody and I could get where I needed to go. And since I'm the most uncoordinated person in the universe, I assure you that if I could do it, so can you. So yay you!! Driving a stick!! Woo hoo!!

Anonymous said...

Driving a stick is FUN, too!

You'll do fine.

dm said...

underwood chicken salad rules! I was recently thinking about that stuff and how I haven't had it in, like, 15 years.

also, I still can't drive a stick.