Monday, March 13, 2006

booty!

yarn booty, that is. this is my order from knitpicks, the yarn i'm going to use to make maggie another blankie. i love the green color. lately i'm a sucker for green, and this yarn is almost exactly the same color as aria's eyes. this the first time i've ordered from knitpicks, but everything i'd heard about them from other knitters was wonderful, and i have to say i'm really pleased. the yarn itself is ridiculously soft, although i worry now that i didn't order enough of it. these four balls seem like nothing; i'm using a yarn not specified in the pattern, and even though they are approximately the same size, the same weight, and i orderd one ball more than in the pattern, i might have misjudged. i won't know until i cast on and do a swatch. that is, if i do a swatch. i'm notoriously bad at doing the necessary prep work for a project. i tend to just dive in.

in more good knitting news, i'm going on a field trip this week to nebraska to visit the brown sheep mill! i can't tell you how excited i am. when i was a little kid my family went back east to visit family and we went to a yarn mill, but i didn't knit them, and wasn't as enthused as i am now. i wonder which mill we went to? i can't even remember. this time though, we're going to take a tour and buy some yarn, and i've never been to nebraska so i'm even more excited. there's another state i can cross off my list. whoo!

other than that i'm boring. tomorrow is my four and a half month anniversary of the move to colorado. i feel like i should have something to say about my time here so far, but i don't think i do. not yet, anyway. maybe soon. until then, go watch the youngcast video because my patch has a small guest-spot in it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I looove that color green! A friend sent me some of the knitpicks sock yarn, and I have to say, it knit up great :)

And I'm a nerd and totally love going to other states, so yay for Nebraska! I went through some of if loong, long ago, didn't do anything special - but a yarn mill? Holy crap - awesomeness! I expect pictures!

Spacebeer said...

Speaking as a native Nebraskan, I think you will have a swell time in Mitchell. In fact, you will be less than an hour away from the hometown of Dr. Mystery! It is probably too chilly to do any walking around, but I strongly suggest checking out the Scottsbluff National Monument sometime. That area of Nebraska is just beautiful. We ate in an awesome Mexican restaurant in Scottsbluff (which is right by Mitchell) the last time we were up, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. Just that it was by the railroad tracks.

Anyway, I'm getting all nostalgic for the home state now. Make sure to take a picture of Nebraska so I can say hi to it...

dm said...

I need some booty! Not the yarn kind either! Damn!

ps. on a seperate note - you should be here this week. drunken rock and roll debauchery will be an everyday event. we will all have the flu next week.

I may get to see morrisey, chrissie hynde, and ray davies speak at the conference! (not all at once)

Josh Krauter said...

Three kudos and two huzzahs for seeing a yarn mill less than an hour from the birthplace of Dr. Mystery. I was just Lil' Mystery then. That was before I got my doctorate in mysteriousness.
Also, the same amount of kudos and huzzahs for daily rock n roll debauchery and having the flu next week. I will also be partaking in the Texas rock fiesta and telling you that you should be here this week.

amanda said...

hey, guess what i just found out? i've actually been to nebraska. as a kid, to see my pop's natal home. that ruins that part, but this will be my first concious trip to nebraska, and that's got to count for something!

Sharyn Morrow said...

Totally, it doesn't count if you can't remember (so don't get too loaded this time around or, if you do, make sure to take LOTS of photos. Well, take lots of photos either way).

I've been on a green kick too - what with the new glasses and a new green jacket. Anxious for Spring I guess. But that yarn sure if purty.

And wow, four and a half months? That went by fast. For me, at least :-)