Tuesday, March 21, 2006

thumbsucker

today thumbsucker showed up, it was next in my netflix queue. since lately i have a hard time doing anything in paragraph form, here is a list of my impressions:
  1. the polyphonic spree annoy me sometimes, but they were excellent in this film. i liked that it was just them and elliott smith, it lent a sort of cohesiveness to the film that some soundtracks lack.
  2. i can't go anywhere lately without running into vincent d'onofirio. and this time i was not looking for him! he was good in this film. keanu reeves was also great, and tilda swinton? if you don't love everything she's in, then we are not friends.
  3. the love-interest girl annoyed me a lot. i think maybe she was supposed to, though. she also reminded me of a girl i actually went to high school with that i hated, so that didn't help.
  4. overall, i thought it was a good film. not the best ever, but pretty good.
i was a thumbsucker as a kid. once i hit elementary school i stopped sucking my thumb in public, but i still did at home. i remember it went away for a big chunk of my youth, but whenever i was stressed out i would sometimes wake up with my thumb in my mouth. in high school there were moments when i would hide out and suck my thumb, too. if you ever were a thumbsucker, you know how comforting it can be. it's been years since i sucked my thumb, but i think the five years i had a tongue ring is the reason for that. oh, and now i can have a cocktail if i feel stressed out. in any case, i think if you've ever had any actual experience with thumbsucking, you'll identify with the movie more. it's not a super glamourous habit, but at least it's not crack or meth, right?

i've also spent the last few days figuring out some vacation plans and looking for cheap airfare. it's pretty fun, to be honest. i'm using orbitz, but if you know of any other services you prefer, or any other ways of getting a good deal, i'd like to hear them! i'm hoping to get a plane ticket round trip for $200 or under. it's asking a lot, but then again, i am looking two months in advance (plus a week).

and this is just me thinking out loud:
my cousin from new york was just at home visiting family and my mom told me she's opening another bar (she's got one now on the lower east side). i said, "i should move out there and be her barmaid." mom agreed. i think the whole family thinks it's not a bad idea. it would be weird to move from my happy home in seattle to colorado to new york all in one year, but i have to admit ever since my cousin opened her first bar years ago i've daydreamed about moving to the big city and slinging beers. plus, i'd get to hang out with her adorable son, which i think would be super fun. nanny by day, beer girl by night, all in the big city? i kind of like the sound of it. i don't know if i'm ballsy enough, but it's fun to think about.

7 comments:

dm said...

nyc is not a bad idea. but could you handle the really big, big city? I think you could. plus I need more friends there with sleepable couches.

Anonymous said...

I used to be a thumbsucker for longer than I care to remember. Might have to check out the movie. Being a nanny has it good and bad sides to it, but NYC would be very cool.
Tabitha99

Anonymous said...

Good god go, NYC is the best! (Plus I could live vicariously through you - I turned down a decent job offer there when I was younger and have regretted it ever since.)

As for Thumbsucker...I need to watch it. We just got it from Netflix too. The husband watched it without me though and claims the main character's thumbsucking wasn't "believable" - and he would know, he was a thumbsucker until his teens.

Anonymous said...

I spontaneously left Houston and moved to NYC and it was the best decision I ever made (I miss it bunches). That said, it's way different than CO. How about a visit out east to weigh your options?

PS: I'm torn about the Polyphonic Spree. Clearly they're a talented group of people but I get a strange vibe off of them. Like they live all Manson family style in some deserted movie set and are plotting to kill people. Don't ask me way.

Anonymous said...

My offer of airline points still stands if you can't find a good fare (I got plenty!)

amanda said...

it's true that the thumbsucking is not very believable; he seems to just put his thumb in there, without actually sucking. but that's okay. i think maybe non-thumbsuckers would be grossed out if he did it the other way. also, did i forget to mention vince vaughn is in it? playing a dorking teacher? he is and he does.

dm said...

also, re:polyphonic spree - I don't think I'll ever listen to their records but I have such a good time everytime I see them. really, really fun. and happy. and no, they're not really cultish, just a bunch on UNT music school nerds and a 90s-alt-rock washout.