Thursday, March 23, 2006

you probably know more about this than i do

this isn't something i'll be doing any time soon, what with the being broke and all, but i'd like to get an external hard drive for backing up my computer. i was thinking the other day that if i lost my photos i'd be super-ultra-mega sad. i was poking around on newegg (which i love) and realized i'm not even sure what i should be looking for. buying a computer component based on price alone seems sort of foolish. do you have an external hard drive? what kind? what should i be looking for? i'd ask my pop, but that would take about three hours of a one-sided conversation where he would over-explain every little single thing and i would have an anyuerism out of boredom. don't get me wrong, he's ridiculously smart and i would get the information i needed, but i'd really like to not be on the phone with him for hours today. thanks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I use an Iomega external hard drive (it's just 80 gig -- bought it a year ago). It works fine for storing things like pictures and documents you want to keep. But the software is very cumbersome for doing actual "backups", which I was hoping would work well for transferring applications and documents from my PC to my laptop when I got it last year. That part didn't work well at all. Restoring from a backup is not user-friendly. But I just use it as a separate hard drive, copy (or move) stuff over there to store, and it works well, and is easy to retrieve. We got it at Fry's in Renton -- is there a Fry's there? Seems to me that it was under $100, but I don't totally remember. And they've likely come down in price in the past year.

Check out C/NET, where you can sort via reviews, price, etc. It's a good site for getting information on electronic/technical stuff.

http://www.cnet.com/

~Tonya

wixlet said...

i use a 120GB western digital external HD for photos and an image (different from a backup, you can actually use the files while they're stored) of my old laptop. i've been really happy with it so far, i think we bought it for around $100. still, safest thing is to have backup copies in a couple of places on a couple of formats, and i'm saying that because i need to burn my photos to a series of CDs or DVDs, too.