Wednesday, March 08, 2006

red!

behold, my very first cable stitch. i did it all by myself! with the help of knittinghelp.com, that is. i saw these wrist warmers on kc's photostream, and knew i had to make them. it's a smaller project, and i figured it would be good practice for making cables. they scared me, but once i saw the video i thought, "oh? that's it?" and honestly, that's exactly how easy it is. go watch the video if you don't believe me. again, another good example of how knitting makes me feel more like a rock star and less like an old lady.

i got an amazing haircut today. it's been years since i recieved a decent haircut, much less a good one. one of the ladies from my knitting group just got a good haircut, and so i figured that salon would be worth a shot. it's called buzz and bliss, and this adorable girl named cori cut my hair. before i went, i had no idea what to expect. i got to the salon and thought i might be in over my head; it was real pretty and swanky. plus, they offered me a cup of coffee the second i got there! i don't know about you, but that's never happened to me at a supercuts. there was a nice, long shampoo with a head massage to start with. the haircut itself took at least 45 minutes (if not longer!) and then i went ahead and had my hair straightened. i mean, i was there, so why not? near the end of the cut i started thinking about the cost. i didn't ask about it before i got there, and suddenly i realized i was at a spa, and thought, "oh jeez, i bet this is an $80 haircut." i got a little nervous at the point, but it was a too late to do anything and i did have my credit card on me. when my cut was done i got a nice little tour of the facility, and a goody bag with a sample of some deep conditioning creme, and the bill? a measly $30. i tipped big. it was delightful. i am a million times cuter today than when i woke up today.

6 comments:

wixlet said...

1. i am going to follow your lead and become a devotee of knittinghelp.com. i have a set of needles and some blue yarn sitting on top of my computer right now (yes, here at the office), and it has been a year and a half since i started those three rows (or whatever they're called).

2. i love a wonderful and inexpensive haircut. it enables me to tip very generously (i'm the one who would drop a $20 tip for something like that).

2a. NC and i just cut our hair a couple of days ago. he shaved his head completely and i am now rocking the same (more or less) haircut i wore in high school, an asymmetrical bob (though not as lopsided as i used to wear it). i can't decide if this is a good thing or a bad thing. i keep getting compliments so i guess it's a good thing, but i still feel a little odd.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, I'm excited to see the cut. I've been meaning to go get a cut myself. It's been a while. Last time I tried out this place near work called Utopia. It was pretty cool...similar to what you experienced, plus, they mailed me a thank you note with a coupon for my next visit! I should go back. We're you at SnB on Monday? Did you catch all Snow's comments on her blog?

amanda said...

i was, and i did. i missed the first hour though, so i didn't see any of the computer-related shenanigans. i did get glommed on, though. lucky me!

Anne said...

Ooh, those are cute! How pretty in a pale, pale pink super soft yarn! I kind of want some, but have no idea what I'd wear them with

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, $30 and coffee and a head massage? I think I made need to give Cori a try too! I'm sooooo overdue for a haircut I think it is time for a new style...

Anonymous said...

Yay for cables! I love helping in cable-enabling =D

I do not remember the last time I actually went somewhere for a haircut. My aunt is a stylist, so from junior high until like, 2002, she cut my hair. Now my friend just trims it for me every once in awhile. I'm kind of tempted as I am curious about layery bangish type things, but still too chicken! $30 is fabulous, wow!

ps, the verification for me is "pjsins" how often do random letters actually spell something?