Wednesday, March 08, 2006

i am so spazzed out right now

you know me well enough to know that i have some social anxiety issues. people who are too loud, too fast, too turned-on right away, sort of freak me out. when i first meet anyone, i tend to try to stay quiet so i can figure out the situation and who i do and don't like. it's true i am a loud person myself, but i'm only loud when i'm comfortable. so if i dork out and you're in the vicinity, it means i like you. when it comes to strangers, though, i keep my crazy outside-voice to myself.
that being said, i foolishly answered the door this afternoon to a young lady. a young lady who was a 15 on a scale of one to ten. she was in my face, in my space, and so painfully cheerful i almost had a seizure. she was trying to butter me up, "oh my god! those red pants are so cool!" "no, way, you totally don't look 28." "oh my god! those earrings are awesome!!!" and i knew she was selling something and was trying hard to just listen and not push her away from the door and then slam it. i mean, most kids out selling stuff are shilling for their schools and what the hell? i'm not working today, i could spare five minutes. she was selling magazines, and i was looking over them and thought i wouldn't mind getting spin again. i asked her at least three times how much the subscription would be, and she kept giving me vague answers, until finally she filled out the little ticket and handed me my half. the total: $56. fifty-six fucking dollars for two years of a magazine i don't even want that badly. i told her there was no way i was paying $56 for a magazine, and asked if i could get a year of it. she said no, and i told her maybe if she told me how much it was going to cost when i asked her the first time i wouldn't have wasted her time. sorry, and bye.

after dealing with someone like that, i always feel overwhelmed and sort of spazzed out. if i were a dog, i would be a dog whose hackled were raised, you know? ugh. the strange thing is, i feel sort of bad that she went through her whole schpiel and i didn't buy anything. no amount of guilt is going to get me to spend that much money on a magazine, especially considering i make that money by being called "line nazi" and having little dogs pee on my podiums.

the good news is i made an appointment for a haircut today! i will no longer look like a shaggy dog. (what's with the dog analogies?) i'm leaving in a minute for that, but i had to tell someone about this crazy girl and her ridiculously expensive magazine subscriptions.

p.s. it is snowing! but snow is sometimes like rain here, so it's all soft and wet. lovely.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

does that mean that being 28 is a bad thing? Is 28 old?

amanda said...

evidently it is seriously old to kids in high school. dammit.

Anonymous said...

I am the same way. Quiet, observant, checking you out until I am comfortable - then I'll be silly and stupid and dorky. Those magazine selling kids are insane. They lurk around apartment complexes. I have learned to never even open the door to them because they are INSANE. One guy was hitting on me in this pathetic "oh my god you are so cute" way - Um, hello, I am not stupid, and I do not want buy your crap, UGH.

wixlet said...

mmmhmmm, another silent observer. but when i get comfortable watch out, because you can't shut me up.