Friday, March 24, 2006

remind me to not watch a whole slew of depressing movies on my day off, okay? yesterday it was monster and enemies: a love story, both of which made me want to die. in between i watched american mormon, which was just about the dumbest movie ever. or rather, it was made only for mormons who want to laugh at the preconceptions and ridiculous ideas that non-mormons have about the faith. i can see how if you're mormon you would find it funny, but if i were mormon i think it would actually insult me more than anything. say it with me: polygamy was only sanctioned by the church for a very small time, isn't sanctioned today, and the only people who practice are rogue mormons. if the majority of mormons actually practiced polygamy, then chances are you would already be married to one. plus, there was no actual talk about the faith or history of latter day saints in the film, so i was bored. i was hoping it would be more of a documentary made by mormons from a mormon point of view, but it was more like one big inside joke that could have been about thirty minutes shorter. which is saying a lot because it's only an hour long movie. in the end, i spent all day grumpy and frowny and be glad you weren't here because i was not so much fun to hang out with.

i finally got one of the two W2's i've been waiting on. if i have to call a certain woman in HR at a certain shoe company i used to work for ONE MORE TIME i might be bitchy about it. if the giant-soul-sucking corporation can get their shit together, i think she should be able to as well. i just want to do my taxes!

i'm also getting another day at work, bringing the grand total to five days a week. thank you, baby jesus. of course, the day i'm picking up the next two weeks is actually more of a half-day, but it's still more hours and it's a day that isn't always so busy so i can spend my time training and not feeling rushed. at least, that's the hope. for a minute i was sad that i'm losing my sundays, then i realized that lately i haven't been using them very well and i tend to spend them in a bad mood. one day off is weird to me; there isn't really enough time to get anything done. i get way more done when i know i have two days to do it, which i think is more of a mental block than anything else. so goodbye wasted and fussy sundays, hello paycheck that might actually pay some bills.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might be interested in reading Dooce's take on Mormonism (she's a former Mormon) -- http://www.dooce.com/archives/daily/03_27_2006.html

I would also recommend reading "The God Makers". It's fascinating.

Keep in mind that I have a bias -- I'm pretty anti-Mormon. But I beleve for good reason, mostly because of how they treat women. ~Tonya

Anonymous said...

Being a woman of the Mormon faith I know I am treated with the most utmost respect and adoration.