Friday, February 10, 2006

ahhhh....

amazing what a good night's sleep can do for me. i helped the process along with a sleeping pill because i didn't want to be jittery and sleepy at work today, and i must have slept for eight hours last night. eight whole hours! it was great. i feel much more reasonable and pleasant today.

it's also payday. i saw my check though, and damn it's tiny. the four day week thing is fun, but i'm going to have to watch my spending. this job is great for traveling, though, so i'm keeping it a bit longer. they don't care where i go next month or for how long, which is one of the perks of having a throw-away job. they don't really need me, so taking a few days off won't upset them too much. i feel like the whole point of february this year is to make it to march.

i'm reading the biography of kurt cobain, heavier than heaven, and i can truthfully say it makes me like him less and less. growing up in the pacific northwest and being in high school when "grunge" hit it big has always made me feel sort of close to kurt. when he died my little sister was bereft, and we were both big fans of nirvana (although to be honest, i haven't listened to any nirvana since early college). reading the book, kurt reminds me of a lot of the dipshit boys i went to high school with. he may have been a great artist, but he strikes me as being a very immature, self-centered jackass the rest of the time. regardless, i can't put the book down. i'm going to have to read it to the end, so i can get to this book about another musical artists who was also a jerk in his real life.

2 comments:

Anne said...

Woody can blame Huntington's Disease for part of his jerkiness, but the jury's still out on how much. I felt mostly sad for him when I read it.

Josh Krauter said...

I think if someone wrote detailed biographies about everyone's lives, especially when the book's subject is no longer around to defend him/herself, we would all look like jerks. Or at least I would. Also, sometimes people's actions sound harsher or more negative when you see them on paper, and the good stuff doesn't jump out as obviously. I don't think anyone's done a real good job of being a great person. We're all just muddling through and we're all selfish. Even Gandhi. I'm sure his friends and family didn't get enough attention from him. Ah, what do I know?