Wednesday, February 15, 2006

SNOW!

i went upstairs to make a drink (because, you know, it's midnight and i was feeling existential) and saw that it had snowed some more. and by "more" i mean, "a lot more." the amazing thing about snow is that when it's coming down at night, it lightens the sky right up. this is the view from my front stoop. the sky is a lot pinker in real life. in a moment i'm going to put on my new wellies and head out into the snow to try to get some more photos. i took about a million from the step, but only three came out. i'm not used to snow, and therefore suck at taking it's picture.

i think a lot about why i'm here in colorado sometimes. lately, more than usual. mainly because a lot of folks have asked what it is exactly that i'm doing here, what brought me to this state in particular. one was knowing someone to live with (that helped) the other is my grandmother esther lived here. she was my father's mother, but i never knew her because she died before i was born. she's buried outside denver. she spent the last years of her life here, brought to the state by her daughter who also lives here.* my aunt charlotte, esther's sister, says we have the same smile. (we have the same overbite. in her photos she's shy and tries to hide it, but it does look like me.) knowing she was (is) here, in this state, made me want to come here. in this small way, i'm a bit closer to her. is that weird? probably. yet in my own way, i feel like i know her a little better now.

p.s. i went out for about an hour, and took a ton of photos. i whittled it down to 27. here they are!

*my aunt and i aren't particularily close. she's ridiculously, painfully beautiful, and very cold. she's not very nice to my pop, and even though at times i think he's a jerk, he's still my dad and i am insanely, incorrigibly protective of him. there's a part of me that wants to know her and my cousins better, but this other part that stops me. the part that couldn't be nice to her if she said anything bad about my pop.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't snowiness at night awesome? :) I miss that!

Also, I understand what you mean. I've had to explain why I moved to Tennessee about a million times, and often the reasons I *tell* people and the reasons I believe are very different. Ah well. Most people just don't understand the thought of moving away, you know?

Anonymous said...

I envy you for the snow. I'm really WANTING some snow (here in WA). It's been a long time! I remember being a kid (or even a young adult) and we'd get a good dumping at least once a year. It's been ages. And, I'm currently unemployed so I wouldn't have to worry about driving in it. SNOW! NOW!~Tonya