Thursday, February 02, 2006

eh...


i'm not entirely happy with this bunny. for one, the ears are wonky. the head, also wonky. i think that's because of the lousy instructions around the neck area. that's disappointing to me because 1) i paid for this pattern and 2) i've seen other people knit this bunny and it turned out fine. what the hell?

i'm also not thrilled with the arms. too stumpy.

i followed the instructions! honest! and i followed them to the T. my bunny looks all misshapen and funky. i can't send it to maggie this way, it's too weird looking, and not weird on-purpose, which would make it okay.

i'm just about done with another, smaller one, when it's stuffed i'll see if it looks better.

and one more thing; over the past few days i've used this site a lot to figure out various knitting things. the little videos are ridiculously helpful, especially to someone like me who has a real hard time reading diagrams and pictures of knitting. it's so handy, especially since unlike asking someone to show me in real life, i can rewind and play the clips over and over again. i used it to look up mattress stitch tonight, and realized i've been doing it wrong for, oh, every since i started knitting. i mean, i had the basic idea of it right, only i was doing it in the wrong place. i wish i'd watched that clip before i did bunny's ears.

p.s. okay, i emailed the author of the pattern, and evidently you bind off the tops of the arms, and that's why my neck looks all wonky. which is funny, because that was one of the solutions someone came up with last night. i just didn't think it would work, but i'd had two beers and no dinner at that point, so i bet not much would have made sense. now, sober and having made two of the damn bunnies, i can see how binding off would work.

i love knitting, and lord knows i've been doing more of it than usual, but sometimes it's very math-y to me. in the immortal words of barbie, "math is hard."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, poor Stumpy! I think it's cute.

Anonymous said...

I looooove knittinghelp.com. She taught me to make socks! :)

I think the bunny is cute!

Anonymous said...

I think it's cute too.