Wednesday, February 08, 2006

i really do hate gwen stefani

i mean, she might be fine to go out with and have drinks and gossip about our friends and boys with, but her music is just so awful. i mention this because she is on an episode of SNL that happens to be on this afternoon.

wednesday is my saturday, and this one i've sort of pissed away. i did make it to the library and post office, but that's all. now i'm having cocktails in the afternoon and watching television. rock! i did find some stuff at the library that made me pretty happy, including another stevie wonder album. this one i'm going to send a copy of to tiernan, because he's in love with the harmonica and who plays the harmonica better than stevie? it is also my opinion that you cannot expose kids early enough to motown. it should be one of those things that women play to kids in the womb, the way they take prenatal vitamins.

i want to knit today, but i am also really enjoying the cocktail and tv watching.

i really want to go to sxsw this year, especially since i going would mean getting to see my friends, but i'm waiting to see what happens with my sister and maggie. if my brother in law goes to dive school, maggie and my sister are going to my parent's house for a few weeks, and if that happens, mom and pop want to buy me a ticket to come home as well. i feel awful taking a ticket from them, but then again, it would mean getting to go home for a bit, meeting my new niece and seeing some of my favorite people. either way, i'm going somewhere in march.

i have also decided that if i were a man, this would be the part of my life where i would grow a beard and think serious thoughts about society, my place in it, and whether i should be the man i'm expected to be, or the man i am. damn i wish i could grow a beard.

5 comments:

dm said...

beards kinda rule. I feel naked when I'm not fuzzy.

I know you need to see your neice if you can, but we want you HERE.

Anne said...

I'm so lame that I didn't even know Stevie Wonder played the harmonica!

Anonymous said...

What Dave said! Except the part about being fuzzy.

wixlet said...

CX loves his harmonica, too! we haven't traded up to band-in-a-bucket, but still have the baby-safer 'parents' version of a band in a bucket. but the harmonica is NC's old harmonica. the funny thing is that CX will play a bit, and then he'll pass it to us to play for him (we always have to de-spitify it first), and then he asks for it back. harmonicas + babies = something good!

and on the topic of sxsw, -not- being in town for it this year is a big bonus for me. mainly because i hate people. ok, i don't hate -people-, i hate self-important jackasses who walk around with phones stuck to their heads, wearing badges around their necks and sunglasses into the night and crowding up the lines at my favorite coffee shops. so, i hate 80% of sxsw out-of-town attendees.

lordymercy, i am a sociopathic bitch.

Anonymous said...

OK, you asked for comments so I wanted to comment on a particular entry that i really liked. The last paragraph in this entry is so where i am at right now. I just got laid off from a job that I loved, and do NOT want to go back in to corporate society. So, yes, i am growing a beard sitting around drinking congnac, surrounded by leather-bound books and the smell of pipe tobacco, thinking of my place in the cosmos. So far here is what i've come up with: I really want to open a bowling alley.

Anyway, I'm glad to see things are coming together for you in CO. I moved out here from back east and i went through the exact same things you are going through. It took me a year and a half to find a job i liked. I almost moved home everyday. I still have bouts of homesickeness (this is after 7 years), but I like it out here enough, and I've built a lot of new, fun, rewarding relationships that I would have never experienced back home. I'm rambling, but stay strong Soul Sister Number One. Don't stop blogging, cause the Internet would suck without you.

I'll try to comment more in the future.