Saturday, April 15, 2006

sofa king bored

jesus, the schedule for the last two days at work has been retarded. last night there were only two of us the last few hours to close, tonight there were four of us closing. and five sales reps scheduled today when we have four cash registers. add to that the fact that it's been super boring at work lately (holidays keep people out of our way) and you have a girl who is fairly stupefied with boredom.

i got my tax refund yesterday! out of all the kids at work i filed last and got my return first, which just goes to show you that filing on-line is your friend. i have a million different things i want to do with all the money including but not limited to:
  • buying this expensive cephalopod book.
  • getting a cephalopod tattoo (you know it's inevitable).
  • buying a plane ticket for my vacation.
  • going crazy at kid robot.
  • buying tons of books for maggie, who does not yet know the joy of yum yum dim sum.
  • more yarn from knitPicks. i'm toying with the idea of dying some sock yarn and then making mom a pair of socks for christmas (she wears a lot of clogs, so she'd be able to see them all day!).
  • these shoes. i mean, i could justify this one, because they'd be perfect work shoes. plus they would make me want to get better at sock knitting so i could show them off.
  • i also love these earrings with the red stars on them. they are on sale too, which makes them extra tempting.
  • i could break down and pay a ridiculous amount of money for tickets to see ween and the flaming lips. i want to not have to pay out the ass for that, but i have this feeling the show would be so fun, it might be worth paying a scalper. that goes against everything i believe, though.
so far i've done nothing with the money except buy lunch at work two days in a row, which for me is scandalous. oh wait, i did use a chunk of it to pay for my car insurance. and in all honesty, i'll probably use the bulk of it to pay off some credit card debt. i have one card i can pay all the way off, and another that i can make a dent in. i need to start putting some money back in my savings account as well; before i know it my student loans are going to start back up again and the lease in this apartment only goes through august. there's a good chance i'll need to move (again) but this time only in-town so it won't be so god-awful expensive. i look at my bank account and see all the things i could buy, then think of all the things i should pay off or save for, and there's a fight in my brain about which one will win.

i know responsible me will win out over let's-go-shopping me, but sometimes i wish i were a little less practical. or had less guilt about money.

5 comments:

Emma said...

Tax refunds are the best, right? I always end up spending them on the practical things too, but at least you can splurge and buy ONE fun thing from your list. Or buy more than one and to hell with the credit card companies.

Anonymous said...

I always have money-guilt. I think most of the time it's a good thing to be good and smart and practical with money... but sometimes it feels good to let loose. Even if for me, that's like, spending $4 on a nicer conditioner or something, hehe.

I have been wanting some mary janes lately SO BADLY! I used to wear them all the time in high school. I miss them. I had the same thoughts about knitting socks and showing them off, hehe :)

Anonymous said...

clearly, you need to spend the money on the ween/lips show. i can see by your last fm thing that you can't stop listening to ween! plus, the lips are always fantastic live.

Anonymous said...

If that vacation means coming to Texas, buy the ticket already!

laura said...

look at this cute tattoo!

http://www.devilfish.com/