Monday, April 17, 2006

yo!

living three miles from work has some definite advantages, the main one being lunch at home. the second best is "oh i forgot ____, i'll go home and get it" and that only takes a few minutes. the worst thing is that if i do any shopping near or around work (and my house!) after work, then i end up seeing more than my fair share of customers. at the grocery store, in my fantastic black work polo i find myself looking a little too hard at people with that familiar "hey, don't i know you?" feeling, only to realize i've looked a little too long and now must look away! i'm totally recognizable! pleasepleaseplease don't ask me anything about cell phones because i'm not at work and if i'm not getting paid to talk about them i don't want to even think about them! oh hey, that tapioca package is totally engrossing, i'll just look intently over here for a minute. i should shop farther away from home.

work on sock attempt number 2 is going well. it's all ribbed and cute, and honestly i think with such charming yarn there isn't too much i can do to mess these up.

people also keep giving me the sort of good news that it totally secret and while i'm all "yay! good for you!" i'm also sort of "boo!" for secrecy. unless of course i'm the one keeping my own secret, in which case i'm all "yay!" for keeping pie holes shut. "boo" and "yay;" the only two words you ever need to teach toddlers. remind me of that when maggie starts talking. i want to see how long she can get by in the world utilizing two words, maybe three if you count "yo." when tiernan was little and he would say it i practically jumped up and down for joy. my little tow-headed sunshine boy saying "yo" was just about the best thing ever. i have to say sometimes i miss his littleness, his baby face, but then he says these things he's thought up on his own and i'm glad he's growing up. he get's funnier every day. he can get bigger, as long as he doesn't do it too quickly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like living close to work too, (about 4miles away) mostly because that means I can get to work in 10 minutes, if I have to, so I can sleep in later ;) (lots of stoplights though, so I usually leave 15 minutes for travel)

I see customers around, sometimes, but I don't think they recognize me because I'm not wearing a lab coat anymore hehe